Very helpful Parisians (Was: Cautionary tale: Paris pickpockets)

2005-08-02 10:02:44
There's been a lot of discussion about petty crime in Paris -- I posted
my own story (and if you need to know how to get an emergency passport
in Paris, talk to me offline).  Let me follow up on my own posting.

To recap, my wife's purse was stolen at a restaurant very close to the
hotel.  Two Parisians found it under a scooter about 1 km from here.
They went to a fair amount of trouble to locate me -- my wife and I
don't have the same last name, but they found a minor card in the purse
that mentioned my name -- and delivered the purse to me here at the
hotel.

Yes, the money was gone, as was her phone.  The credit cards and
passports were still there, though of course they'd been canceled.
(Obviously, our threat model was too great....)  The less-critical
stuff -- but still a nuisance to replace -- was there.  A set of keys
was there.  (We did not assume a trans-Atlantic burglary ring.  And if
the opposition really was that competent, they'd have copied the keys,
or at least the critical data about them, before discarding them.  Not
in my threat model....)

There certainly is a petty crime problem in Paris.  See 'CRIME' in
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1116.html for the U.S.
consulate's opinion.  Frankly, though, I'm overwhelmed at the efforts
of two people who owed me exactly nothing.

Yes, there are good people in the word.