Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-02 10:25:56
My 2 cents:

I firmly believe in the "individual" and "voluntary" aspects of IETF
attendance. I also belong to both categories; sure my employer pays for
the expenses, but nobody forced me to come over. (Come on it's Paris
after all, although I have gone to all of the Minneapolis meetings, too. ;)

I represent many things here -- first and foremost I'm an engineer and
an end user. Naturally, my interests may be affected by what I do in my
"real work". I think that applies to most people here, and I think it
would be naive to think otherwise.

And whether or not people mention their affiliate at the mic is a
much smaller issue IMO to whether they use their company email
account. That is a much more visible and relevant label in IETF work
that mostly happens on mailing lists anyway.

Cheers,
Aki

ext Spencer Dawkins wrote:
That would be fine, if I changed the Newcomer's Orientation :-)

Spencer

Spencer,

However, many people here are not using their 'individual money' to
get here in Paris. Our name badges list our employers (in most cases). I think its a different issue if I come to the mic and say, 'We at the ACME company would like to state, for the record, that we support the foo bar proposal and hope it becomes an official RFC as soon as possible. It doesn't bug me one-way or another if folks state their name & who pays the bills.