Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-02 05:00:49
At 17:22 01/08/2005, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
That would be fine, if I changed the Newcomer's Orientation :-)
Spencer

Spencer,
However, many people here are not using their 'individual money' to get here in Paris. Our name badges list our employers (in most cases). I think its a different issue if I come to the mic and say, 'We at the ACME company would like to state, for the record, that we support the foo bar proposal and hope it becomes an official RFC as soon as possible. It doesn't bug me one-way or another if folks state their name & who pays the bills.

Spencer,
I do not claim that my technical positions are correct, but that they are independent and I pretend they prove that IETF is what it claims: by individuals. I pay dearly that independence for years (which has many other R&D advantages). This permits me, may be clumsily but loyally, to support for free the interests of open-source, of small industries, of developing countries, of a user-centric architecture. So, what is sad is when I am asked by an IETF establishment member "do you realise how much you _cost_ to the industry?". Which industry? Not mine in any case. Fostering competition is not favoring my competition.

This is why I suggest the real danger for the IETF is the collusion of large organisations through external consortia to get a market dominance through de facto excluding IETF standardisation and IANA registry control. And this is why I suggest the best way to address it is simply to ask for the truth, the whole truth.

Participation should be individual, but published details should include who foots the costs, the corporation, the relevant consortia and main customers for consultants. We need everyone, including commercial consortia, individual searchers, non-profits, Government, Academic projects, etc., but, please read RFC 3869, on a equal participation opportunity basis. This is the only way to obtain open, scalable and uniform standards.

I live nearby the Palais des Congrès. But I do not come since I am not invited for free by IASA as we are invited by ICANN. The IETF policy must be consistent: there is no reason to pay personal money to help interests I defend to be treated unequal, due to often disclosed but non published affinities. They get there far more than what they pay for, why would I in addition subsidise them?

jfc