Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-01 08:06:47
Spencer,

However, many people here are not using their 'individual money' to get here in
Paris. Our name badges list our employers (in most cases).  I think its a
different issue if I come to the mic and say, 'We at the ACME company would
like to state, for the record, that we support the foo bar proposal and hope it
becomes an official RFC as soon as possible.  It doesn't bug me one-way or
another if folks state their name & who pays the bills.

John
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
Date: 2005/08/01 Mon PM 05:44:54 EEST
Subject: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

From RFC 2418 section 1
   Participation is by individual technical contributors, rather than
by
   formal representatives of organizations.

It seems like we're being especially casual about saying, "I'm Waldo
from Walden Pond Networks, and ..." or even "I'm giving you the
requirements from the Grand Order of Network Water Buffaloes, and
...".

I'm still telling people in the Newcomer's Orientation that we attend
as individuals. Could we be a little more careful about saying things
that make us sound like other standards organizations?

Thanks!

Spencer