RE: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-02 22:50:04

--On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 07:23 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

Certainly there are bizare corporations attempting to achieve
some sort of stranglehold. Anyone remember digital convergence
and the CueCat? That type of behavior tends to come from
market entrants rather than established companies. Once you
have a stake in the open Internet the probability of success
in a closed 'walled garden' scheme isn't high enough to be
interesting.

At the risk of providing an irritating counterexample or two...

Please explain this to almost every wireless carrier in the world, especially those offering “3G” or similar Internet-based data services. Established actors, significant stake in the Internet, but business models based on walled gardens. A discussion with, e.g., AOL, might also be of interest. These are, I would suggest, established companies and fairly significant market actors.

     john