Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-03 11:18:12
----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

I am sure large corporations would be more careful at sending  their
high-order IQ if they known that their inputs will tagged with the
company name.

What a wonderful world it would be, if that were true...

I'm pretty sure that less than 0.001 percent of the management teams
at my IETF sponsors since 1996 had any idea that I was even ATTENDING
the IETF, and our process documents point out repeatedly that it's not
necessary to actually attend IETF face-to-face meetings in order to
participate in the IETF.

My current sponsor is quite clear that I am, and will be,
participating in the IETF, but that's not true for most of the people
I talk to on IETF mailing lists. It's quite possible to be an
excellent document editor, and probably even a reasonable working
group chair, with very minimal sponsor awareness. I've paid my own way
to IETFs twice, both times as WG/BOF chairs, and I know that others
have paid their own way many more times than I have.

If an employee doesn't fill out a travel authorization to attend the
face to face meetings, does anyone on the management team even hear
this tree fall?

Spencer

My own experience of a large organisation heavily involved in networking was
that being sent to Paris or London or Japan or ... was given as a reward to
someone in the networking arena who had performed well against their objectives
for the previous year.  Prior knowledge, skill, ability to contribute were not a
consideration except insofar as they formed part of those objectives.

Of course, others could take annual leave and fund it themselves - wish I had.

Tom Petch