Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-06 05:51:31
In message <42F48A4B(_dot_)1020402(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>, Keith Moore
writes:
I actually think IETF might function better if nobody's badge had his
company's name on it, and nobody used a company email address.  People
place way too much importance on someone's employer.  Yes, sometimes
people break the rules and speak for their employers, but it's not wise
to assume that this is the case.

More than once, I've seen ostensibly technical discussions where
various people were quite obviously representing the interests of their
employers.  I'd rather the potential for conflict were obvious.

Put another way, quite people *do* speak for their employers, who don't
buy into the IETF's vision of the process.  We can't stop it; we as a
community are better off when connections are clear.