Personal & company email addresses (Re: Re: I'm not the microphone police, but ...)

2005-08-03 05:30:20
--On 3. august 2005 12:53 +0300 John Loughney <john(_dot_)loughney(_at_)kolumbus(_dot_)fi> wrote:

my 2 cents as well:

And whether or not people mention their affiliate at the mic is a
much smaller issue IMO to whether they use their company email
account. That is a much more visible and relevant label in IETF work
that mostly happens on mailing lists anyway.

I believe that its good to avoid conflicts of interest, or the
perceptions of it.  Note that I am using a personal address on this, so
I'm happy to speak freely, and this following this list is really not
related to my day-job.  However, on mailing lists / WGs where my employer
is interested in my work on the subject, I use the email address provided
by my employer, just so that folks know that my responses might be
'colored' somewhat ...

I use my personal email for IETF work, and expect to continue to do so; at the time I started with Cisco, the email disk quota on my "company" account would support my incoming email for 5 1/2 days, so that was really no alternative.

I've been surprised that some people STILL don't know who I work for, after 5 years at the same employer...... but that's life.

                   Harald