RE: I'm not the microphone police, but ...

2005-08-03 05:56:07
From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]

At the risk of providing an irritating counterexample or two...

Please explain this to almost every wireless carrier in the
world, especially those offering "3G" or similar
Internet-based data services.   Established actors, significant
stake in the Internet, but business models based on walled
gardens.  A discussion with, e.g., AOL, might also be of
interest.    These are, I would suggest, established companies
and fairly significant market actors.

I have a Palm device on Cingular and a HP iPaq on T-Mobile, both are
unrestricted. I also have a bunch of walled garden 'imode' phones where
I have only accessed the Web browser by accident.

Walled garden does not seem to me to be a very successful business
model. It means customers have little content available to them. I think
that is self correcting.

I know that in the MBA business courses they wax lyrical about 'razor
and blades' business models. Fact is though that most attempts to
establish that model artificially fail. Ink jet cartriges and video game
consoles are the main exceptions. People understand the lock in effect,
in most cases they try to avoid it.