IETF63 Network and IPv6

2005-08-03 07:09:50
IETF'ers,
     I would like to raise an issue with everyone in Paris using the
IPv6 support provided by France Telecom and the volunteer NOC
squad.  There are a few rogue client nodes advertising themselves
as IPv6 routers.  Here is a list of the guilty parties:

1. MAC = 00:05:4E:43:51:AA
   IPv4 = 86.255.24.98
   Advertising (as IPv6 Router):
      - FEC0:0:0:6::/64
      - 2002:56FF:1862:6::/64

2. MAC = 00:04:23:7A:FB:3E
   IPv4 = 86.255.28.28
   Advertising (as IPv6 Router):
      - FEC0:0:0:8::/64
      - 2002:56FF:1C1C:8::/64

3. MAC = 00:0D:93:EA:38:B2
   Advertising (as IPv6 Router):
      - 2002:56FF:1862:6::/64
      - 2002:56FF:1C1C:8::/64
      - FEC0:0:0:8::/64
      - 2002:56FF:1CB8:6::/64
      - FEC0:0:0:6::/64
      - 2001:0688:FFFF:24::/64

4. MAC = 00:04:23:78:82:7E
   IPv4 = 86.255.28.176
   Advertising (as IPv6 Router):
      - FEC0:0:0:6::/64
      - 2002:56FF:1CB8:6::/64

The impact of these nodes' behaviors directly impacts the ability
of other attendee's trying to use IPv6.  There has been more than
several cases where these rogue advertisements have caused
blackholes for other clients.

So, if you are the owner of ANY of the MAC addresses listed above,
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU DISABLE THE SENDING OF ROUTER
ADVERTISEMENTS.

Of course, much of this could be avoided if we had router and client
support for SEND...

Regards,
Brian
Just a poor IPv6 WG co-chair trying to use IPv6 to phone home