Re: Review panel's role

2005-08-04 08:09:32
Dear Harald,

I agree, with one edit - s/to WG/to WG early in the process/.

(note is long - summary: Review panel SHOULD, in my opinion, be able to send back documents to WG without it being a Big Deal. At least once.)

The part where I stroke out about us continuing to think that documents coming to a Full Stop in the IESG, or in the SRP, being the common path we optimize for is that the Review Panel, as described in the current draft, is a LATE review entity, and we don't like late surprises (for example, the words "guess again" when the WG thinks it's through).

I honestly hope the SRP spends some time spinning up an ICARish mechanism for EARLY review, and that the SRP spends its time reading reviews from ICARish reviewers that say, "these guys used to be idiots, but they've gotten a LOT smarter - please check the 02 and 04 text in section 6.3 for proof".

And the SRP can spend its time spot-checking drafts that have been seriously CARDed (in the SIR sense), and adjourn early to the bars.

And what a wonderful world that would be...

Spencer