Re: "The IETF has difficulty solving complex problems"

2005-08-09 06:29:00
At 14:20 09/08/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
without needing an over-arching scalablity framework or robustness framework.

This is what I call the "mono" default architectural parametering of the Internet. The architecture permits applications to scale. The architecture could scale. But the architecture scalling is not tested and even mudded over the RFCs.
Examples: one class, one language, one IPv6 space, etc.

This leads to a robust system, but it more and more perceived as rustic. And the necessary evolution is carried by grassroots process (VoIP, NATs, P2P, middleboxes, DNS balkanisation, etc.).

Is that good overall. Maybe because it gives a common example? It worked until now ... I am not sure that sometime it will not anymore. No more idea of when as when the Gulf Steam will stop. But the impact may be even worse?
jfc