Re: what is a threat analysis?

2005-08-11 10:58:44
Michael,

Your view of requirements for IETF process do not match mine and your assessment of the current situation with the DKIM effort does not match mine.

In fact I do not know what specific behaviors, and by whom, you are complaining about.

My issue is that if people are going
to invoke process, they should be prepared to define what
the process is. And not just hand waving; concrete pointers
to documents that have been through the rough consensus
mechanism so that all parties can shoot for a common
goal.

The requirement for a threat analysis, prior to chartering a DKIM working group, was stated by our cognizant area director. He provided concrete, written guidance, in the form of the 3-point questionnaire that I've cited. It would be delightful to have a tutorial, but what he gave us is a long way from hand-waving.

Current IETF rules require a sponsoring AD. Whether to do the sponsoring is their own decision and, therefore, must satisfy their own professional criteria. The rest of the IESG also needs to be satisfied, well enough to pass the working group approval vote.

The process certainly can be subject to whimsy, but it is quite clear that this is not the case here.

My own comment at the plenary was a very long way from a complaint about the handling of the DKIM effort. It was, rather, a request for more assistance, in the form of a) work by the security community to develop better, community-wide consistency about the term, and b) more tutorial guidance for completing this thing being called a threat analysis.

It would be great to have rough consensus about all things at all time, but if you think about that for more than a millisecond you will see that it is a good way to ensure never doing anything new, and more likely never doing anything.

Steve Bellovin's plenary presentation did quite a good job of explaining the challenges in the security area. The area has been searching for ways to make tools with better, more predictable, and longer-lasting efficacy. That requires exploring planning and design techniques. A threat analysis seems like a pretty reasonable path to explore, especially since it apparently has some history in the security community.

So, I am sorry, but I really do not understand what you are complaining about, that has any application to the DKIM effort.

d/

ps. On the DKIM mailing list, I have twice posted requests for discussion about some draft text describing the threats to which DKIM responds. As nearly as I can tell, your own postings, there, have been about an aspect of the DKIM specification, rather than about the threat analysis. We are, finally, starting to get some focus on the topic, so I encourage you to help us try to develop rough consensus on our own threat analysis effort.