Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-carpenter-bcp101-update-00.txt

2005-08-18 06:15:44
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On 18. august 2005 10:16 +0200 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

People interested in our administrative affairs may want to
look at this draft and comment. I think it's fairly self-explanatory,
and we will want to proceed fairly quickly so that it doesn't
become a critical path item.

Brian,

I don't see any problems with this in isolation... on the nitpicking side, I dislike the passive voice of section 2 "A trust... has been formed". Unless one believes in autogenesis of trusts, SOMEONE formed the trust, and it/they should be named. ("IASA in cooperation with other parties"?

Sure. The trust will have Settlors and Trustees. We can be a bit more
specific.

Also, I believe the term "update to BCP 101" is ill-defined (but then, we never worked out the details of whether or not a BCP could have more than one document); this is an update to RFC 4071, and the intent is that all references to "BCP 101" hereafter should be interpreted as "RFC 4071 as amended by this document".

I read the relevant bits of 2026 a couple of times, and I am pretty
convinced that a BCP can only exist as a single RFC (which may or may not
be a bug, but that's what the text seems to say). So this needs to be a
new BCP that updates the RFC 4071 version of BCP 101. You're correct that
it needs to be stated a bit more clearly.

As an update to RFC 4071, I believe it would be better to say which section it updates; I believe section 2 of this document should be considered inserted before section 3, paragraph 6.

Actually there are number of places in 4071 that are affected; so wherever
it is virtually inserted, it changes a number of sentences.

I believe the document will read more cleanly if the words "rather than ISOC" are deleted from section 2. If you wish to say anything about how material previously thought to be owned by ISOC, a separate section ("transitional arrangements") could be inserted.

That material will be in the Trust document itself. It's intensely legal
and would be very tricky to duplicate here.

External to the document:
When will the Terms of Reference for the trust (or whatever you call them for trusts) be made available to the community?

I've asked the IAOC that question.

   Brian

                      Harald