RE: RFC 2487 [5]: Suggest dropping of "TLS Required"- forbid and extensions of current standards

2005-08-22 09:46:08
I don't think this is a good plan.

I am not at all opposed in principle to the idea of making changes to
the email infrastructure that are effectively mandatory in order to
combat Internet crime. I do not think that any scheme that mandates use
of CA services is likely to be acceptable however. The biggest mistake
of S/MIME was to design the toll boths into the protocol. The result is
a very slow rate of adoption.

From the point of view of CA providers it is much better to have 30% of
a market that will reach saturation in 4 years than 100% of a market
that will still be far from saturation in 30 years time.

I agree that getting authentication into the email protocols is a good
thing, but TLS does not achieve much more than SPF/Sender-ID in that
respect. DKIM is a much better platform.

The problem with TLS is that it does not even connect with the weakest
link that the criminals are exploiting. That is the two feet beween the
screen and the user's head. We need to secure that link and do it in a
way that is stronger than an authenticated domain name.

I think that to combat phishing we have to bind the bank brand into the
signature by means of a highly trustworthy group of trusted third
parties. I call that concept secure internet letterhead.

I can build Secure Internet Letterhead as a layer on top of DKIM, I
cannot do that with TLS. All TLS is really going to provide is transport
layer authentication and confidentiality. Those are worthwhile but not
critical.

I expect that most CAs that offer Secure Internet Letterhead certs will
also bundle an X.509 cert that can be used for TLS.