Re: Reply-To (Was Re: [Re: regarding IETF lists using mailman: nodupes considered harmful])

2005-08-28 12:47:23
On 28-aug-2005, at 19:55, Bruce Lilly wrote:

One important nit: Reply-To is an originator field (RFC 2822) and should never be forged by somebody or something (e.g. list expander) other than the
originator.

Well, to me, the mailing list "re-originates" the message, so I don't see the problem.

(Why did you set a reply-to header, then?)

Kmail, Evolution, and Sylpheed each have options for sending a response to the message author directly, and Pine prompts for a user decision. For
others, selection from a list or copy-and-paste often suffice.

The trouble is that the mail clients I'm familiar with (and that's not too many, somehow learning a new one always freaks me out) give the user the option to either reply to the sender (as in: address in the From: header) or do a group reply, where everyone else is put into the CC: header. What I would really like is "reply to the list" but that's not an option. Removing the sender in To: and moving the list from CC: to To: is too much work: there is considerable mousing or complex keyboard stuff involved. I know it sounds silly that a two- second task would be too much work, but then, apparently the much simpler task of simply removing any unnecessary text left at the bottom of the finished message (shift-apple-cursor down backspace in my case) is deemed too hard for more and more people, with the result that each reply contains all messages before it, if these lazy bandwidth-wasters are left to their own devices.

the most effective ways to remedy the problem are to contact the supplier or

Not effective at all. My mail client is broken in several ways since the last OS update several months ago, but so far, the bugs aren't even acknowledged, let alone fixed. So feature requests: forget it.

failing a suitable enhancement, to switch to a UA that does provide the desired functionality.

Is there a list of what functionality can be found where?