Re: Reply-To

2005-08-28 16:03:55
 Date: 2005-08-28 15:42
 From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>

On 28-aug-2005, at 19:55, Bruce Lilly wrote:

One important nit: Reply-To is an originator field (RFC 2822) and
should
never be forged by somebody or something (e.g. list expander) other
than the
originator.

Well, to me, the mailing list "re-originates" the message, so I don't
see the problem.

So you think it's OK for a list expander to modify Sender and From Fields
(the other Originator fields in 2822 sect. 3.6.2)? [some list expanders do
in fact modify Sender, causing problems]

(Why did you set a reply-to header, then?)

To suggest where responses should be sent; that is the purpose of the field.
There is a difference between the originator setting an Originator field and
some other entity modifying an Originator field.  Unless Originator fields
are set exclusively by the originator, it is not possible for a recipient to
determine who set the field.

Kmail, Evolution, and Sylpheed each have options for sending a
response to
the message author directly, and Pine prompts for a user decision.
For
others, selection from a list or copy-and-paste often suffice.

The trouble is that the mail clients I'm familiar with (and that's
not too many, somehow learning a new one always freaks me out) give
the user the option to either reply to the sender (as in: address in
the From: header)

That would be the author(s); the sender would be indicated by the Sender
field.

or do a group reply, where everyone else is put
into the CC: header. What I would really like is "reply to the list"
but that's not an option.

It is in fact an option in Kmail, in Evolution, and in Sylpheed (although
the implementations do not necessarily do the same thing).

the most effective ways to remedy the problem are to contact the
supplier or

Not effective at all. My mail client is broken in several ways since
the last OS update several months ago, but so far, the bugs aren't
even acknowledged, let alone fixed. So feature requests: forget it.

Different suppliers of course provide different levels of response...

failing a suitable enhancement, to switch to a UA that does provide
the desired functionality.

Is there a list of what functionality can be found where?

I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't know of any off-hand (and such things
would rapidly become out-of-date).  If you have a suitable mail environment,
the easiest thing is to experiment (a suitable environment is one where one
can easily switch user agents, e.g. where the message store is an IMAP
repository).