Re: Enough was enough

2005-09-02 08:40:11
jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com (JFC (Jefsey) Morfin)  wrote on 30.08.05 in
<6(_dot_)2(_dot_)3(_dot_)4(_dot_)2(_dot_)20050830115145(_dot_)03a3bd80(_at_)mail(_dot_)jefsey(_dot_)com>:

Dear Brian and all,
This mail of Harald Alvestrand positively concludes a long, difficult
and boring effort of mine started at the WG-IDNA. I apologise to all
for the inconveniences it created all over these years. My Franglish
and my lack of talents left me with a tested method: the style you
suffered, to pass ideas to who is interested or concerned; home work
to demonstrate and implement them. It avoids conflicts and obtains
results, at the cost of some ad-hominems instead of major conflicts
(like on the spam issue). The Draft has considerably improved since I
started partly opposing it in December.

Harald Alvestrand expressed several times that the IETF is neither
interested nor competent in multilingualism, an area which is
necessarily, by its complexity, the size of its financial figures and
the involved industrial, political and cultural interests, the engine
of the development of the future Internet (RFC 3869 unfortunately did
not considered). So, he managed or sponsored himself that policy with
real talent. I was first confronted to that IETF situation through
the WG-IDNA: it shown me the rightness of his evaluation.

Frankly, your analysis is about as wrong as possible.

This is NOT about language problems, or about centralization, or whatever.

My sadness is the very very small number of non-English mother tongue
participants: the alternative SDO Harald found is no really better in
that area. When addressing multilingualism, this should be very
concerning for us all.

Well, I'm certainly a non-English mother tongue participant. In fact, I
seem to recall so is Harald Alvestrand.

And I side with Harald in this.

Your messages are often so full of jargon they are nearly impossible to
understand. Furthermore, they often assert a large number of "facts" that
certainly aren't true in the universe I see around me.

And lastly, their connection with the threads you post them in is often
hard to understand, too.

MfG Kai