RE: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-09-08 00:45:44
Christian Huitema wrote:

if an application tries to resolve
"host.local" through, say, gethostbyname, then the query will
indeed be forwarded to the local DNS service. The responsibility
for the ".local" traffic lies mostly into whoever is promoting use
of this top level domain and coding that use in applications.

That would be Microsoft:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296250&GSSNB=1>

The Domain Name System name recommendations for
Small Business Server 2000 and Windows Small Business Server 2003

July 16, 2004

Make the name a private domain name that is used for name resolution
on the internal Small Business Server network. This name is usually
configured with the first-level domain of .local. At the present
time, the .local domain name is not registered on the Internet.

The natural separation of internal and external networks
occurs because of the use of a separate internal namespace.
A client query generated from the Internet for www.contoso.local
does not return any valid domain information because .local, at
the present time, is not a registered domain name.

Name resolution problems that are created by using a publicly
registered domain name can be avoided by planning the private
namespace around a .local first-level domain so that, in this example,
Contoso.com and Contoso.local are both available to internal clients,
but Contoso.com is only available to external internet clients.

A suspicious person might think that the reason Microsoft is trying
to encourage its customers to use ".local" is a deliberate attempt
to foster interoperability problems with machines running mDNS.
I do not think that. I'm sure there must be a perfectly reasonable
non-Machiavelian explanation for why Microsoft is advocating use of
the ".local" DNS domain. I just don't know what it is right now.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org