Re: Last call comments on LTRU registry and initialization documents

2005-09-09 08:11:55
John C Klensin <john dash ietf at jck dot com> wrote:

The success or failure of the "foo" registry is
not evaluated on how many foos we can put in to it, or its
comprehensiveness relative to some external foo-list, but on
whether it does the job that the foo-protocol (and maybe foo1,
foo2, etc.), requires.  Normally, we don't even write a "create
the baz registry" document.  Instead, we write a "baz protocol
specification" document and include a more or less long section
that instructs IANA to create the registry, what to put in it,
and how.

So, do you propose that we withdraw the specification of the initial
registry contents, all 963 tags and subtags, and replace it with a set
of instructions to IAN on how they can duplicate our work?  And cross
our fingers that they get it right, or prepare to go through
item-languages for any correctible errors or omissions they may
introduce, and live with the uncorrectable errors?  Just wondering.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California