RE: RFC 3066 bis Libraries list

2005-09-12 04:44:01
At 06:38 12/09/2005, Peter Constable wrote:
> From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com>
> RFC 3066 Bis imposes new constraints on the existing language tags
> software libraries.

Dear Peter,
whatever the way you want to say it, these libraries have now to meet new specs they had not to meet before. I do not know if you already developed some piece of software, but this means there will be more lines of codes in RFC 3066 bis librairies and more possible bugs. Please do not confuse constraints of accuracy and quality on the libraries, constraints on the langtags, and constraints on the users who would be now to accomodate for ever a non end to end non-interoperable (except may-be in e-commerce) security leaking system.

Before approving a "BCP", and the whole IETF in not opposing the Draft must investigate the supposed existing running code. To show make sure that users are (will be) supported correctly. This concerns for example the _added_ information (scripts), the way they address "x-tags" private use, the filtering and negociatioin performed, or langtags such as qac-qark-aa, etc. They must also know what are the other libraries they could use. This is this much needed review I plan since the WG-ltru neither considered it, nor considered describing library validation tests. IMHO it is more positive than biaised considerations over RFC 3683.

RFC 2026 talks about the need to consider the interests of all the affected parties and of openness and fairness: I try to consider and support them all in an open and fair practical way, hence the reason of my call on this list, so every library can be quoted. As the most knowledgeable and the leading person IRT that project, you should help me and provide a list of all the librairies you know. The same about the authors? Or is there a problem I miss?

jfc

We need to be more careful in describing the proposed revision to RFC
3066 (aka RFC 3066 bis) wrt exiting libraries that conform to RFC 3066:
every tag valid under the terms of RFC 3066 bis will be recognized by an
existing library written to conform to RFC 3066. Not every tag that
*could* be recognized by such a library would be valid under RFC 3066
bis, but every tag actually valid today under RFC 3066 is also valid
under RFC 3066 bis.

The draft was written with careful attention to ensuring compatibility
with existing libraries written to support RFC 3066. The draft can be
said to impose new constraints that existing libraries would not impose;
I don't see how it could be said that the draft imposes new constraints
on those libraries.

Peter Constable