Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

2005-09-12 04:10:50
Brian,

"Call home" is IMHO a fairly radical departure for SNMP and
raises trust model questions that I don't find easy to get
hold of. It seems quite distinct from both firewall traversal
and NAT traversal, conceptually, even if they might be
a side-effect of calling home.

I do not believe - nor have I seen document demonstrating that - you can
practicably achieve the two classic functional goals of query/response
and unsolicited notification without implementing CH in the face of a
firewall/NAT.

Another way of putting it is that if firewalls are to be dealt with (and
in this day and age we should presume this), this functionality has been
prematurely ruled out of scope and must be considered in order to that
need ANYWAY.

Eliot