Re: Confusion about ISMS rechartering

2005-09-07 10:22:30

In this instance, the whole point of the charter was to reach a
direction within the working group that has broad architectural impact
and then to review that decision with the community.  So, I think
Eliot and Steve's concerns are directly tied to the chartering event.

Sam, thanks for pursuing this. I had misunderstood the timeline, and thought that Eliot was raising a post-chartering issue.

As we seem to agree, such issues do arise in working groups, so the question of seeking broad review of major decisions DURING the wg process is a valid issue, albeit apparently not this time.

My own, very strong bias on situations like the current one, certainly is to make a charter as precise and complete as possible. The more a charter can state basic assumptions and constraints, the better, from what I have seen. Including conceptual and architectural impacts (or issues) can only be helpful.

--

  d/

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking