Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

2005-09-12 11:35:30
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:42:33 -0400, Margaret Wasserman
<margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com> said:

I believe that the ISMS WG's proposal is about ADDING the
possibility of SNMP over TCP, not about CHANGING SNMP to use TCP.
UDP will still work.

Margaret> That is correct.  UDP and the current SNMPv3 USM security
Margaret> mechanisms will still work.  They will also remain mandatory
Margaret> parts of SNMPv3.

Though it's important to note that the reason for the creation of the
WG was that although the security features in SNMPv3 definitely
worked, they were hard to use.  Thus operators didn't always deploy
SNMPv3 because it was a pain to set up the user base.  By saying that
we're going to now allow SNMPv3 over TCP to use their existing user
infrastructures, I agree that you are not saying you can't use
SNMPv3/USM over UDP as you've always been able to.  However, since
many don't want to use that today I think their choice will still boil
down to SNMPv3/ISMS/TCP or nothing if they're unwilling to take the
deployment hit that was already preventing wider adoption of
SNMPv3/USM in the first place.  Yes, SNMPv3/USM/UDP will still be just
as usable as it was before.  But it still won't be used as much as it
should be.

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.