Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

2005-09-06 12:13:30

...Has THIS decision been subject to adequate external review, preferably including a pass by the IAB?)

When I was the sponsoring AD for the group, I pushed back hard on this point. The WG opted for the present path. I'm not saying they're right -- in fact, I disagreed -- but the decision wasn't made by default.

Well, I was not at all trying to raise questions about IETF process, but now that you mention it...

It strikes me that this is a remarkably constructive example of why ADs should less often "make decisions" or debate solely within the IESG, and more often should "recruit rough consensus from the larger IETF community."

That is, the major benefit in the broad and deep expertise of an AD like Steve is to detect major issues and to raise a warning to the larger community.

Then they can seek broader review and consensus for questionable working group choices that might have much larger impact.

--

  d/

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking