Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it

2005-09-13 08:04:54
Eliot,

At the SBSM and ISMS BoF sessions at IETF 58 and 60 the need for
integrating SNMP into existing security frameworks was extensively
discussed.  Wes presented the issue at NANOG and performed a survey
among operators.  The output of all this work is the idenitfication
of a well founded general requirement for working on the integration
of SNMP into existing security frameworks in an IETF working group.

Now you claim that solving this issue is technically wrong without
considering a different problem that you call "call home".  Rather
you request adding the issue of solving the "call home" to the ISMS
charter.

However, nobody raised this issue at the ISMS BoFs nor has the
issue been discussed in depth in the OaM area.  But we should have
such a discussion before adding the issue to any IETF WG charter.
It looks like a good topic for a BoF session in the OaM area.
There we could find out the relevance of the problem and discuss
requirements for potential solutions.  Also there we can identify
which working group would be the right one to deal with the issue.

But until then, I propose that we let the ISMS group work on solving
its original problem.

Thanks,

   Juergen