RE: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it

2005-09-13 12:43:29
Hi,

As primary editor of the SSH draft (SSHSM), I spoke with Eliot last
week. I agree that it is difficult for him to develop a reasonable
proposal that piggybacks on the SSH draft, because the SSH draft is so
incomplete.

I am not convinced that SNMP needs to add a new call-home (CH)
functionality, nor that this feature is needed in SNMP now, but there
is a danger that CH might never be possible if we don't consider its
impact on the SSHSM model before SSHSM is cast in stone. If it
complicates the SSHSM model, I would prefer to not include it; a new
model could be developed to replace or supplement the SSHSM model if
demand increases for this functionality.

I recommended to Eliot that he contribute some text for the SSH
document, describing the CH functionality and proposed elements of
procedure, that I could include as an appendix to the SSHSM document
so the WG could review his proposal, and then the WG could decide
whether it should remain as an appendix, be incorporated into the SSH
document, be split out as a separate document, or be abandoned
altogether. I felt this was a reasonable alternative to making the
decision whether CH is or is not in scope at this time. He has not yet
had a chance to develop the text and send it to me.

David Harrington
dbharrington(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net