Re: ISMS working group

2005-09-13 12:46:18
Brian,
Let me be clear about what you mean here. You mean that getting through
firewalls and NATs is equally possible with SSH or BEEP (or TLS or HTTP
for that matter)?

Yes, pretty much.  The key useful function is an substrate that allows
for multiple channels.

I'd also observe in terms of charter language that the ability to
have agents and managers indifferently either side of NATs and
firewalls, and the ability to support traps in such scenarios,
are potential charter requirements. But "call home" is a solution,
and there might be others.

Brian, I would be very happy with the language you mentioned:

  Solution must support {pick your favorite SNMP terminology: command
generators/responders/.../agents/managers} on either side of
  NATs and firewalls

Whether it's CH or some other Thing, as long as it's not incredibly
contortive, I'm okay with it, and I'm perfectly fine with a WG
evaluating such solutions and making a considered decision.

Eliot