RE: ISMS working group

2005-09-08 11:45:21
Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that SNMP must always work
across Firewalls and NATs.  The original objection to the proposed
charter was that it did not include support for "Call Home"
functionality.

I can see how Call Home would solve the NAT problem, at least on a
sporadic basis.  The managed entity could initiate an "outgoing" NAT
session to the management station, and the management station could use
that connection as needed.  I don't see how this allows the management
station to later initiate an "incoming" connection to the NAT'ed managed
entity.  Nor do I see how it would enable firewalls to safely pass
through only the desired SNMP traffic.

Clarification would be helpful.  Thanks.