Re: ISMS working group

2005-09-13 13:21:08
Eliot Lear wrote:

<snip>

You asked me for a concrete proposal.  I responded with one using BEEP
as an example.  BEEP / SSH are bits on a wire.  Either can be used, but
as I've written previously the horse I have in the game is whether CH is
supported and whether trap-based polling will properly function through
firewalls (something very much in doubt at this point), and not whether
we're talking about BEEP or SSH.

Let me be clear about what you mean here. You mean that getting through
firewalls and NATs is equally possible with SSH or BEEP (or TLS or HTTP
for that matter)?

I'd also observe in terms of charter language that the ability to
have agents and managers indifferently either side of NATs and
firewalls, and the ability to support traps in such scenarios,
are potential charter requirements. But "call home" is a solution,
and there might be others.

   Brian