Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it

2005-09-13 13:19:20
"David" == David B Harrington <ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> writes:

    David> Hi, Personally, I'd rather see the issue of working through
    David> NATs and firewalls solved at the SSH level, and then SNMP
    David> and other SSH-using applications, such as Netconf and CLI,
    David> could use the solution in a consistent manner.

I think that the ssh connection application already has a fairly
reasonable story for NATs and firewalls, so I don't see much of a need
for ssh itself to advance in this area.

For the most part people who block port 22 really do intend to block
ssh and so having standard facilities to get around that would not be
appropriate.  The port forwarding support in ssh seems to be an
adequate solution for NATs.

SNMP can use these facilities certainly.  However you may want/need a
more automated solution.