Re: ISMS working group

2005-09-12 00:55:56
Margaret,
The call home solution doesn't help with the problem of the _manager_
being behind a NAT.  It only applies to situations where the manager is
at a fixed location on a globally-addressable network and the managed
device is behind a NAT or firewall.

Actually, depending on how the solution is developed it certainly CAN
help the problem with the manager being outside a NAT.  But we are now
being somewhat loose with terms, so let me be more specific.

Consider the case where a manager is behind a firewall or NAT and the
device sits out in the open.  This could easily be an enterprise where
the network management station itself sits behind a firewall in order to
prevent/detect/respond to control attacks.

Now consider notifications.  The device will have no means to get a
notification to a manager unless a hole is specifically poked for the
purpose and the management station is in the same address space as the
managed device.

If the management station has initiated an SSH connection to the agent,
the agent can then initiate notifications over the SSH connection,
either by using the "snmp" application as a simple two way stream as
Harald suggests, or as a "turned" connection as I had suggested in the
first message on this thread (I think both approaches should be debated).

BTW, the solution where you configure the NAT/firewall to admit the
appropriate traffic could also be set-up to work properly when the
manager is mobile and/or when the manager is gaining Internet access
through a NAT.  "Call home" would not work in these situations.

And so your premise above not holding, the remainder of your argument
also does not hold.

Eliot