RE: BitTorrentvs MBONE

2005-09-15 21:37:56

Behalf Of John Kristoff
What is interesting is that these numbers haven't moved all
that much over the past few years.  Multicast deployment has
peaked, but one might consider 10% (using address coverage as
one measure) to be pretty widely deployed.

Does MBONE work through any NAT box on the planet?

What proportion of the IP addresses are NAT-ed?

I can't imagine bothering to download a program if there is less than a
10% chance it will work for me.

A communication program by definition needs two sites so the probability
of it working is less than 1%.

And for multicast to be an advantage there has to be at least 3 people
so we are down to 0.1% probability of working.

Take it to the woodshed.