Re: IETF Process Evolution

2005-09-20 11:30:27

As I've said on the other occasions I've had to see versions
of Brian's proposal,

My completely personal opinion:

    . it's reasonable for Brian to appoint
      a committee of whomever he wants, by whatever
      process he wants, to do whatever he wants

    . the outcome of that committee *MUST* fit in
      with our existing process:  the IETF cannot
      be constrained to accept the output of that
      committee unless it has gone through full
IETF review and existing process

which I think is largely in agreement with what Ted and John
have said, and isn't disagreeing with the text of Brian's
statement.

From here, the devil is in the implementation details, IMO:

        . how Brian will identify folks with (both) sufficient
          involvement and time to devote to produce a draft by IETF64;

        . how to have the public review of/input to any proposal(s) that
          has sufficient community engagement without ratholing (i.e.,
          simply deferring all the aforementioned unsuccessful
          points of WGs)

The first point is an oblique suggestion that we have patience
in IETF64; the second is a suggestion of requirements.

Leslie.

John C Klensin wrote:
Ted,

I finding myself agreeing with you in many ways, but probably
for different reasons.  I'm trying to better formulate the
differences instead of (or at least before) posting something
incoherent, but, in the meantime...

--On Friday, 16 September, 2005 16:45 -0700 Ted Hardie