Re: grow: Last Call: 'Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): The Internet Address Assignment and Aggregation Plan' to Proposed Standard

2005-11-26 10:41:56

On 26-Nov-2005, at 11:30, Pekka Savola wrote:

==> this document describes the multihoming approaches at quite bit of
length, and I'm not sure if such are appropriate for a standards track
document.

Perhaps an informative reference to RFC 4116 could save some space and avoid a certain amount of wheel-reinvention.

   See [RFC2317] for a much more detailed discussion of DNS delegation
   with classless addressing.

==> "much more detailed discussion" indeed -- this doc doesn't really
address the beef of the classless DNS delegation, i.e., assignments on
boundaries other than 8 bits. I'd cut down the amount of DNS text that currently exists or put in an example of about /26, /27, or /30 reverse dns
classless delegation.

Personally, if the draft is to receive additional edits anyway, I think all the DNS info should be stripped and replaced with a sentence or two that note the additional complexity that CIDR introduces to IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation, along with a normative reference to 2317.

Attempting to embed a stripped down version of 2317 into this document doesn't seem productive.

Joe