Re: Update: IETF Trust Consensus Call

2005-11-27 23:31:08

--On mandag, november 28, 2005 12:41:43 +1100 Geoff Huston <gih(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net> wrote:

The virtual consensus question I responded to last week was along the
lines of  "Is this the best of all possible outcomes for the IETF's
IPR?", and my response was "no, I do not believe so". In making that call
I suspect that the entire IAOC would also agree that this is not the best
of all possible outcomes for the IETF's IPR.

But what I have heard since then is that the virtual consensus question
is somewhat different, and appears to go along the lines of "This
document, in our view, represents the best that we have been able to
negotiate on your behalf. Are you comfortable with this as the outcome of
the negotiation process?"

That was how I interpreted the question - I wouldn't even go so far as "comfortable", I'd stop at "acceptable" - or as the consensus question put it: "will enable the IASA to ... fulfill its duties in managing the IPR and associated items needed to allow the IETF to carry out its work" (I elided the word "best", since I don't think this is the best of all imaginable worlds - but it may be the best of the possible ones, given where we are).

I believe that I can respond in the affirmative to the latter consensus
question.

From my reading, I expect to reach the same conclusion as soon as the
auxillary material is on the table.

                  Harald