Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call: 'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

2005-11-29 10:19:56

I don't object to Steve's proposal to clarify the goal and limitations of the use of md5 in the security considerations section. what we're trying to achieve in the DHCID rrs is certainly no stronger than the 'privacy' offered by stateless v6 addresses or rfc3041 addresses. we aren't really making a 'privacy' claim; there's plenty of other un-obscured information available in the DNS along with the DHCIDs. we're only trying to make it difficult to track a DHCP client as it moves from address to address. md5 makes it more difficult than the plain-text version of an ethernet MAC address; that's "enough" for our purpose.

would such a clarification be "enough" to resolve your DISCUSS, Sam Hartman? that is, if it were clearer that we're only aiming for more difficult than not difficult at all - would that be sufficiently clear guidance to admins about what they should expect from this mechanism?

-- Mark

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message
<200511282150(_dot_)01493(_dot_)Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>, Ted