RE: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call:'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

2005-12-01 07:04:42
How about we address issue 1 by expanding the DHCID RR type code. We
have 16-bits and we're just using 4 values presently. There's plenty of
room for future expansion *SHOULD* someone come along and demand a new
algorithm in the future. I can't see why this would EVER occur since
this really isn't about strong cryptographic protection (we're just
trying to make it non-trivial to find a client's identity by not storing
it in clear text).

In the -10 draft, Section 3.3 is:

3.3.  The DHCID RR Type Codes

   The DHCID RR Type Code specifies what data from the DHCP client's
   request was used as input into the hash function.  The type codes are
   defined in a registry maintained by IANA, as specified in Section 7.
   The initial list of assigned values for the type code is:

   0x0000 = htype, chaddr from a DHCPv4 client's DHCPREQUEST [7].
   0x0001 = The data portion from a DHCPv4 client's Client Identifier
      option [9].
   0x0002 = The client's DUID (i.e., the data portion of a DHCPv6
      client's Client Identifier option [10] or the DUID field from a
      DHCPv4 client's Client Identifier option [12]).

   0x0003 - 0xfffe = Available to be assigned by IANA.

   0xffff = RESERVED

---

Replace with:

3.3.  The DHCID RR Type Codes

   The DHCID RR Type Code specifies what data from the DHCP client's
   request was used as input into the hash function and the hash
   function used.  The type codes are defined in a registry maintained
   by IANA, as specified in Section 7. The initial list of assigned
   values for the type code is:

   0x0000 = htype, chaddr from a DHCPv4 client's DHCPREQUEST [7] and
      MD5 hash.
   0x0001 = The data portion from a DHCPv4 client's Client Identifier
      option [9] and MD5 hash.
   0x0002 = The client's DUID (i.e., the data portion of a DHCPv6
      client's Client Identifier option [10] or the DUID field from a
      DHCPv4 client's Client Identifier option [12]) and MD5 hash.

   0x0003 - 0xfffe = Available to be assigned by IANA.

   0xffff = RESERVED

---

Note: I used MD5 since that is what the drafts presently specify.

This does mean that using the existing update mechanisms as described in
the conflict resolution draft will only work if all servers (and clients
doing updates) use the same hash algorithm as specified today.

But I don't see that being an issue as again, I suspect we'll never
change the algorithm. And, if we do, we can revise the update procedure
when the draft specifying the new DHCID RR types / algorithm is written.

I think this provide Sam his desired ability to rev the algorithm
without having to use a new DHCID RR type. And, it avoids complicating
the current update producure unnecessarily.

- Bernie