RE: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-12-01 07:05:13
At 19:43 30/11/2005, Nelson, David wrote:
It seems that there are parallels for RFCs and I-Ds. If the official
language of these documents is English, then should we have portions of
those documents represented in other languages, and more at issue, other
character sets?  In the attributions sections, one could, of course,
provide a Latin character set representation in addition to the native
national character set, for names, addresses, etc.

Correct. This is why the problem is not to support IETF standards in other characters as ASCII as long as the IETF stays what it is and want to be: an US internationalized open to all entity (as want to be ICANN, ISOC, etc.)

The problem is to permit the ASCII IETF document to correctly embed the non ASCII authoritative reference they quote. So the user knows what the standard says. This seems to resolve to two things (at least?):

1. a way to identify external authoritative non ASCII documents ASCII system can use. As indicated I think that IRI can do that. 2. a way to quote as authoritative external quotes to document their non authoritative but widely cross-verified translation. The idea of an HTML appendix could be a good solution. Also to use the HTML (or an RTF version of same format as the text version) as an UTF-8 reference and the Text version as the accepted working version.

jfc