Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-12-01 15:30:20
Once people started to use foliation for citations they started to see
the disadvantages. Editions of the bible were particularly problematic
once people started attempting to cross reference translations back to
the original text. This was a particular problem with the old testament
as some parts of the vulgate are actually translations of translations.
The solution was to refer to scripture by chapter and verse.

By the time RFCs take on the significance of scripture (and are as
widely corrupted as scripture) I'm sure we'll all be using section
numbers :)

In HTML there are three separate options for creating citations. You can
use style sheet pagination if you must but citations will be extremely
fragile and can be broken by any edit to the text.

Anyone who tries to use a page number from RFC 1342 to refer to text in
RFC 2047 deserves whatever he gets.

Keith