Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-12-01 18:46:48
On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

 the
the ability to read and print UTF-8 in the field is still significantly
worse than the ability to read and print ASCII.

That assertion could use a little empirical backing. Empirically, there are people who find the ASCII versions easier to deal with; you are one. Empirically, there are those who simply do not observe problems with UTF-8; I am one. I could say "There are more like me than like you" and while I suspect that is correct, I have no evidence to back it up, so I won't assert it. I will state with some confidence however that the group of people in your position is shrinking, while that in mine is growing.

And I will freely admit that I find the notion that a group of people designing global infrastructure think it's OK to use ASCII so morally and and aesthetically offensive that it probably interferes with my evaluation of the trade-offs.

I will now shut up. It is clearly the case that there is tremendous resistance within the IETF to leaving their comfy ASCII enclave. -Tim