Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-12-01 15:39:28
On 12/1/05, Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

On a point of information, most of the references I see in existing RFCs
are to sections in any case.

I suspect this is because almost everyone refers to an HTML version in
informal communication. But, I actually agree with Keith that keeping
the format as a text file is the right thing to do. I agree with Tim
about internationalization and printing reality, but think UTF-8 text
files would be the best route.

I don't like the idea of using HTML, because it breaks up the document
and allows bitmap illustrations. I think Keith is spot-on when he says
the text format encourages clear thinking. In the WG I frequent, I've
found that the worst and most complicated ideas usually come with
elaborate illustrations.

Anyway, I'm still not clear on the what must-have software is
preventing the IETF from using UTF-8. My linux systems allow me to
write Thai and Katakana in vi. Guess it must be the printing. I
haven't owned a printer since 1998, so I find it hard understand why
some consider printing to be a frequent and important task.

--

Robert Sayre