RE: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call:'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

2005-12-05 05:54:19
If you're going to have multiple DHCP servers, such as failover pairs,
doing the DNS updates, you need to have those servers agree on how they
will identify the clients. This is not JUST for DNS updates. Failover
partners need to use the same identifiers for clients.

So, this is really not an issue.

The rules are pretty clearly described in the RFC:

For DHCPv4:
1. Use the DUID if the client identifier option is provided by the
client and it is a DUID and the server supports it. This is a new RFC
that is in the RFC-editor queue so no clients and servers yet support
this.
2. Otherwise, use the client identifier option if provided by the
client,
3. Otherwise, use htype and chaddr.

For DHCPv6:
1. Use the DUID of the client.