RE: The IETF Trust License is too restricted

2005-12-06 09:05:19
Simon,

        As I understand it, the IETF has negotiated for nominal
control of IPR vested in other organizations that was developed
through IETF activities.  Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose
of the trust.

        However, if that is the situation, two things are easily
apparent: 1) the IETF is not in a "power-position" to decide
unilaterally what rights it will obtain in negotiation and 2)
a favorable negotiation position should be cemented as quickly
as possible.

        It is difficult for those of us that were not involved in
the negotiations to determine whether or not the position now
represented is the most favorable position obtainable, but it
does seem likely.  Personally, I am inclined to trust that the
people negotiating for the IETF have been doing, and continue
to do the right things.

--
Eric