Re: [IAOC] Re: The IETF Trust License is too restricted

2005-12-08 10:30:01
Lucy E. Lynch wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> writes:

"Simon" == Simon Josefsson <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> writes:

   Simon> Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> writes:
   >> --On tirsdag, desember 06, 2005 13:07:50 +0100 Simon Josefsson
   >> <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> wrote:
   >>
   >>> I'd feel more comfortable if the outbounds right issue was
   >>> settled, before all IPR is signed away to some external body
   >>> that, to me, it seem unclear whether the IETF has total
   >>> control over.
   >>  Remember that it's signed away FROM bodies that the IETF has
   >> NO control over.

   Simon> My point was that before drafting what conditions the IETF
   Simon> Trust should operate under, we should know what kind of
   Simon> permissions we want the IETF Trust to be able to grant.

I think it is sufficient the trust be able to operate under any set of
outbound rights we come up with.

That won't be possible, given the current (and even the updated) IETF
Trust agreement.

The IETF may decide that third parties should be given rights to all
contributions, not only to RFCs/I-Ds.

Currently, the IETF Trust would be unable to comply to such a wish
from the IETF, because the Trust agreement prevent them from doing so.

explain please, I don't understand this.

Straw man?

To me, the new phrase "IETF
standards-related documents (such as RFCs, Internet Drafts and the
like)" clearly covers contributions to the standards process, i.e.
the same scope as RFC 3978. I don't see a problem here.

    Brian