Re: The IETF Trust License is too restricted

2005-12-06 06:56:45
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> writes:

--On tirsdag, desember 06, 2005 13:07:50 +0100 Simon Josefsson
<jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'd feel more comfortable if the outbounds right issue was settled,
before all IPR is signed away to some external body that, to me, it
seem unclear whether the IETF has total control over.

Remember that it's signed away FROM bodies that the IETF has NO
control over.

My point was that before drafting what conditions the IETF Trust
should operate under, we should know what kind of permissions we want
the IETF Trust to be able to grant.

The updated text now permit the IETF Trust to grant rights to Standard
documents without requiring the licensee to grant back all rights to
derivative works.

When looking into what copying conditions the IETF should grant to
third parties, we may reach consensus on giving third parties the
rights to other Contributions as well, not only RFC and I-Ds.  The
IETF Trust can never, under the current legal document, give any third
party that license.

I believe the IETF Trust should be able to grant unrestricted
perpetual sub-licenses for all rights to third parties.  The IETF
Trust doesn't have to use that right, but should be able to, if the
IETF community decide if that is what we want.

Thanks,
Simon