RE: The IETF Trust License is too restricted

2005-12-05 09:42:52

From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com]

Its purpose is to give the IETF control of its own IPR, which
has previously been held by 3rd parties. (That's not the
legal statement of purpose in the formal Trust Agreement.)

What we then do once we have such control is then something
we can discuss and reach consensus on. Part of that
discussion is already happening in the IPR WG.

That is an interesting approach.

The reason I raised the point was that I suspect that there will be many
members of the IETF community who would prefer to have the debate on use
before they have surrendered control.

The IETF constitution is not one that lends itself well to the 'trust
me' approach.