Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-12-07 05:58:11
Yaakov Stein wrote:

Character sets are important, but there is more.
I have had bad experiences with right-to-left writing
in environments not specifically designed to handle it.
And the worst case is embedding of left-to-right expressions
inside right-to-left text (or vice versa).

The only thing we can do with bidirectionality at plain text level
is to spell words of opposite directinality backword.

Then, if we change line length, the representaion becomes inappropriate
or wrong. But, it is of course, even if we use type setted ASCII.

If you handle bidirectionality in more complicated manner, it
involves nesting, which makes searching practically impossible
(it takes time proportional to the third power of length of
string being searched).

                                                Masataka Ohta