Re: The rights of email senders and IETF rough consensus

2005-12-20 12:09:26

clean
  *>
  *> Dave Crocker wrote:
  *> >> IETF should not make it more difficult for the Internet to adapt to
  *> >> changing conditions by standardizing protocols that only work in a
  *> >> narrow set of conditions - even when those conditions are reflected
  *> >> in some providers' current contracts or policies.
  *> >
  *> >
  *> > Like ARP?
  *>
  *> I wasn't around when the ARP decision was made, so I don't know how
  *> widely it was realized at the time that the approach was shortsighted.
  *> we cannot, of course, have perfect foresight, so it will always be
  *> possible to find examples of poor decisions made long ago.  however the
  *> lack of perfect foresight doesn't mean we should make our present
  *> decisions blindly.

This is a strange discussion.  Broadcast networks are an important
class of link layer technologies, and I would say that by any measure
ARP was a huge technical success.  It may well have been responsible
for the great popularity of Ethernet and its followons.  ARP also
established an important architectural technique.  I don't understand
the suggestion that it was "shortsighted".

Bob Braden