Re: Troubles with UTF-8

2005-12-23 05:46:39
Tom.Petch wrote:

Overall, my perception is that we have the political statement - UTF-8 will be
used - but have not yet worked out all the engineering ramifications.

Correct. Like so many results of IETF, enforcing Unicode just does
not work.

But, never mind. Unicode has nothing to do with the internationalization.

others to
0000-00FF, essentially Latin-1, which suits many Western languages but
is not truly international.

The only appropriate subset of Unicode is 0000-007f, ASCII. Latin-1,
which introduced the confusions of the currency symbol and NBSP, is
already overkill.

Unicode lacks a no-op, a meaningless octet,

The confusion of NBSP implies that spaces are not so meaningful
octets so that it may be replaced by line break characters.

So, the situation is worse than you would have considered and even
full Latin-1 is hopeless.

Just interpret UTF-8 ASCII.

                                                        Masataka Ohta